Thursday, August 06, 2009

Thinking about dyeing again

No, not thinking. I went to the Dharma Trading Company and bought some dyeing supplies, including a good book on the process. I already do know how to dye wool using a crockpot, but thought the book might come in handy for some tips and tricks. The Dharma Trading Company is a fantastic place to buy basic art and craft goods, particularly fiber arts. I really do mean basic, because you will not find findings or colored threads or yarn here. This store is really for the do-it-yourselfer, for the person who dyes their own fabric, thread, yarn, roving, etc. The only color of fiber here is white, pretty much. But, the prices are very, very, very good, and the service is excellent.

I believe I have a supply of wool that I will use. I have some pink that I think I'll overdye with blue for a varied pink-and-lavender color, and I probably have some white wool I can use, too. There is something very satisfying about spinning wool that I've dyed myself, so I might continue doing that from now on, with occasional forays to Etsy to pick up some really fancy stuff. I will also probably just spin white, and then dye it afterwards, although the thought of spinning nothing but white sort of bores me. But, it'll be an exercise in spinning control, instead of color control.

No comments:

Post a Comment