Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Grousing about research

Why in the world am I delving into another place and time instead of sticking to the Regency era? I know the Regency era pretty danged well. Writing a story in that setting would be relatively simple--simpler than writing a 1798 Irish Rebellion werewolf story. But noooo, I have to start from scratch again, from reading about the era, the economics, the politics, the religion, and last but not least, some Irish Gaelic language so that I can get the fictional village name right. Hell, setting a story in France would even be easier, because at least I know some high school French and more about French history than I do Irish. But nope, I have to build this story from the ground up, from the name of the village (Baile an faolchĂș; the English would probably pronounce it Ballinfaylku or Ballinfalcoe. It means "home/village of the wolf/wild hound"--and yes, I made it up; so far as I know, there isn't an Irish village by that name, but I want to get it right, so I want the Irish name, not the English), to how and why the curse of the werewolf would manifest, how the heroine knows the curse will soon be in force, how the hero will institute the practice of "tenant right" once he discovers the condition of his estate, and on and on.

Why can't I just do things the easy way? Or I should say, why can't my MUSE just give me an easy story to write instead of a difficult one? Grrr.

I suppose I could just drop this and write something else...but dang it, I know that way leads to doom, doom, I say! Whenever I go against the Muse's urging, it simply goes wrong. I either go dry or whatever I write is totally bleah.

Well. All I can say is that the Muse had better deliver on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment