Thursday, June 04, 2009

New Job, new story

Two good things:

I got a new job, MUCH closer to home, and will begin in a little more than two weeks. It's good because it's only 10 minutes to drive to work at worst, the parking's free, and the pay's the same. Compare that to 45 minutes (if all is well, as much as 2 hours if the traffic's snarled, or an hour and a half by bus) to where I work now, and parking fees that are anywhere from $12 to $18 per day. It'll add as much as 10 to 12 hours a week to my life, seriously. I'll use less gas. It'll be a freakin' savings. It'll be like getting a pay raise.

The second good thing is that I've sent in my edits for my Regency-set novella, "Miss Templar and the Holey Grail," and it was such amazing fun to write that I feel rarin' to go on something else (elements of the book: the Holy Grail, the Spear of Destiny, Sir Walter Scott, Almack's, and "where's Waldo?" Trust me, it works). I went through the different story ideas I've salted away over the years (as long ago as 1999!) in my "ideas" folder on my computer. I believe I will look over my demon book to see how that looks and maybe send that out. It's finished, but I haven't looked at it for years, so I will probably need to do some editing.

I actually found a number of books I began writing years ago, but left off writing. Some of them paranormal, a few of them Regency (which aren't published any more except as historicals). One of them that I really do like is "The Spy and Lady Nye," which I think is a fun title. I was reading it over, and it reads well, and I wouldn't mind continuing it. However, it's a Regency, no paranormal that I can think of, but I do believe I was intending to put a few explosions in it, as I haven't put explosions in a book before. Unfortunately, print publishers aren't publishing Regencies any more. I suppose it could very well become a Regency historical, but I truly don't want a duke as a hero, I have a baronet instead. Publishers tend to want dukes and such, but seriously, I am tired of dukes.

Oh, and then there are a few pages of a humorous Regency-set story regarding the children of Corday and Simone (of Night Fires). It looks like their son has turned out to be an experimental wizard.

Let's see...there is the fully-fleshed out plot for an Irish story set in 1798. That one is a keeper. Involves fairies, a werewolf, magical spells, spinning wool and knitting (my hobbies!), and the Irish rebellion. I might work on that one.

It's fun looking over these potential stories.

4 comments:

  1. Yay on the new job! It sounds like exactly what you need!

    And yay on the new stories!

    This is a very happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:34 PM

    Hurray, Karen!!! Here's to a simplified working life.

    Isn't it the most fun to graze old writings? pamb

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is indeed what I need. Badly. Right now, every day that I'm not throwing up out of anxiety at the current job is a good day.

    As for grazing old writings, Pam, you are so right. I love looking over old stuff and thinking where I might go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely insist on the Irish story. Yum! Congratulations on the new job. Hurray! :)

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete