Sunday, June 28, 2009

Auburn Farmer's Market

Decided to go to the Auburn Farmer's Market today to browse the stalls. I could wish for a little more variety in the types of vegetables sold. No broccoli or cauliflower--I go to the Federal Way Market for that, as the Sidhu Farm (I believe they are from India--the parents have that lovely lilting accent, but their kids sound like your average middle-class American teenager) from Puyallup has beautiful, flawless specimens of those vegetables. But the Auburn market does have lovely Swiss chard, which I bought, and which I didn't see in the Federal Way market last week. Nice that Auburn has their market on Sundays, whereas Federal Way and Kent have theirs on Saturday.

The Auburn market does have nice-looking pasta, however, and so I bought some garlic lemon pepper angel hair as well as spinach fettuccine. I plan to use the garlic lemon pepper with perhaps a salmon alfredo or a seafood Italian stir-fry with a basil and oregano wine sauce. The latter is the hubby's favorite, as I use a good deal of garlic in it--fresh garlic from our garden. I have also used leeks on occasion from our garden when I don't have onions. It has a less harsh taste than onions, less of a bite. I like both tastes, so it doesn't matter much to me which one I use.

Of note also at the Auburn market is local organic beef (from nearby Covington), as well as honey. Two local, small bakeries are also featured, one of which specializes in European goods (Euro Market). And then there are the superb Gosanko chocolates.

I didn't get the chocolaes, but I just might get a few the next time I go there.

Later: I have never had Swiss Chard before, and now that I've cooked them, I'm going to get more--they're like spinach, but without the harsh edge on the tongue, and with a sort of nutty aftertaste--very nice! It went well with the garlic lemon pasta and seafood, very, very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment