Thursday, March 18, 2010

International Women's Night

Last night I was invited to go to the International Women’s Night on one of the NATO bases by Anna and Tanna (another expat lady, whose home town is in the Puget Sound area of Washington State). The club is attended by women from all the NATO nations and who are stationed in the area. As a result, there are French, German, British, Canadian, Turkish, Italian, Norwegian, US...well, there are more nations than I will name here.

The women meet once a month, and each night is hosted by one of the nations. Door prizes are offered, representative food is served, a brief speech on the history and culture of each country is given, and a game is played. Last night was Norwegian night. We were informed that in times past, not only did Viking men fight for the woman they wanted, but so did the women. As a result, an arm wrestling contest was started and--yay!--the U.S. representative (Anna of Kalitsu’s Considerations) was the warrior woman who won the contest.

The door prizes were marvelous...I have to especially show this lovely pair of hand-knitted Norwegian mittens, knitted by one of the Norwegian ladies:


Lovely, yes? I wanted to win these, but did not, alas. But at least I have the picture, and hopefully can make a pair in that pattern myself some day (yeah, I wish!).

No comments:

Post a Comment