Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas

Well, it's Christmas evening, presents have been distributed and opened, 15 dinner guests have come and gone, my son has decided to stay over at a childhood friend's house (one of the dinner guests), and it's just my dear hubby, myself, and the cat. He is doing something about the dishes, so I have decided to use the opportunity to sit and let my aching feet rest.

Menu? My husband grilled some sausages, ribs (always good to have some already prepared with a rub marinade, frozen, ready to be thawed and cooked when needed), and ham yesterday, and I cooked a stuffed turkey today. Last night, I made a pecan pie, pumpkin pie (from scratch, but I had already pureed and frozen Halloween pumpkins more than a month ago, premeasured in muffin tins), and four loaves of whole-wheat fruit-and-nut bread (German stollen, but with whole wheat and dried fruit instead of candied fruit). And then there were the traditional sides of mashed potatoes and gravy (made from the turkey broth).

Then the guests brought food. My mom always bring sushi, which everyone enjoys. Our friends the Thompsons (who we have known from college, and their children from birth) brought a lovely salad made of pear, salad greens, crumbled gorgonzola cheese, and raspberry vinaigrette, as well as one of my favorite comfort foods, strawberries and cream in strawberry jello, and two wines, a Pinot noir and a Cabernet Sauvignon. My brother Allen and my nieces brought home-made bread. My brother- and sister-in-law brought more wine, a home-made, high-octane plum kind, as well as an Australian Cabernet.

There are two good things about being the host for Christmas dinner: you don't have to travel, and you are so busy, you don't stuff yourself. I am willing to bet that tomorrow when I get on the scale, I will have lost pounds.

I noticed our cat, Newman, wisely sat most of the time under the coffee table, away from everyone's feet. I think all the activity bewildered him, perhaps even made him uncomfortable. Though he's a friendly cat, and came up to everyone who arrived, once everyone left, he meowed at the hubby and then jumped up on his lap, nudging his hand--obviously asking to be petted. He then curled up and hid his little kitty face in the crook of John's arm. This is unusual for Newman--he's not usually a lap-sitter, and he doesn't usually hide his face. But he lay like that for a good half hour, while John scratched his head and pet him. And then, he was back to his usual kitty self, except then he proceeded to sit on the couch next to me, wanting me to pet him as well, purring very loudly. Most unusual! Usually one person's petting him is enough.

Well, I hear the hubby has just finished up the dishes (not many, as we used paper plates--the guests don't mind, and it's just easier), it's very late, and I'm tired.

A very merry Christmas to you all...and goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment