Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Nice to know I can remember a few things

Like the Japanese language. I was born in Japan, stayed there until I was almost three years old, so that was my original language, until coming to the US. Switched to English within six months, my mother says. I didn't speak it much or take any lessons except for one semester in 8th grade, and one semester or so in college.

But here I am writing this novella set in Japan, and I'm surprised at how much I remember. Such as the difference between a simple "honto," and "honto ni." It's the difference between saying "honestly!" and (in a sympathetic tone) "really?"

I can still construct a simple sentence ("Kore wa nan desu ka?" "What is that?"), and every once in a while other words come to me, and when I call my mother and ask her for verification, most of the time, I'm right.

I'm tickled pink that I can still remember some words and simple sentences. Which makes the process of writing this novella even more delicious. I can hardly wait to be done with it, so I can go through and make some tasteful (hope!) edits, and color it up some, adding bits here and there to make it sound good. I hope the bits of Japanese here and there adds some authenticity.

Gotta get back to writing.....

--Karen H.

1 comment: