Friday, October 01, 2010

Going back to the U.S.

Well, we just got the word today:  we'll be going back to the U.S. at the end of December.  We had hoped that we could have stayed until June or so--there were so many places and things we wanted to see and do, and there would have been more than enough work for John to do...if the customer had decided to proceed with the project.  However, governments all over are cutting budgets, and I think the project John was working on was not high enough priority for it to continue.  At least he has a job to go back to when we go back to the States, so that's good.

Still, I had wanted to visit England all my life, but I'm going to have to let that dream go.  I did get to go to Paris, and that was great, although I still have yet to see the Louvre.  Maybe if we get really lucky, we might be able to take a trip back to Europe some day...but...well, we'll see.

I'll have to find a full-time job right away when we get back; there are still college loans to pay, and improvements we should make on our house, not the least of which is a good interior paint!  So there is much work to do be done when we get home.  I hope I get a job very quickly, because I'm also going to have to get a car right away.  It's not like here, in Germany and the Netherlands, where you can get along very well by bicycle or train.  There are no commuter trains back home, not where work is, and bus service is limited.  Bicycling...well, it's very hilly at home, and so huffing and puffing up a steep 200 foot incline is not my cup of tea.

I admit I'm sad and had a small session that involved some tears...I was just getting to know the culture and discovering so many things and making friends!  But I did achieve the dream of going to Europe, and Derek will be here in less than a week and a half, so we'll have a family vacation at last, a dream I've had for the last 20 years (yeah, we haven't had a family vacation in that long).  So that's another thing to be happy about.  Two lifetime dreams achieved.  :-)

Whew.  Well, it's going to be rather difficult going back home, and a bit of a strain on our budget, but we'll manage, I'm sure.  We always do.

4 comments:

  1. Hugs, KEH...seems kind of silly for Boeing to send you over there for such a short time. Not very cost efficient. 8-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it's not efficient, Sharyn, but it's what the customer (multiple governments) wanted...and then decided they didn't want. Governments aren't known for their efficiency, and multiple governments even less so. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:23 AM

    I'm very sorry to read that you have to go back that soon! No chance to come to the South of Germany either, I presume? Do make the most of the autumn though and do as much cycling as possible ;-)
    And yes, quite a silly decision of Boeing and their Customer (and yes, governments are not known for their intelligent choices!). I do keep my fingers crossed for you that a trip to Britain nevertheless before you go: Some years ago, we went to Edinburgh for a long weekend (there are quite good fares by the cheap airlines and sometimes good offers, too) and it was soooo great. London is mightily expensive, but there are so many other places and you at least would get a taste of the country (maybe even more so in the country than in the capital). No chance to so something like that??
    Lots of hugs and love from Munich, Doris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doris, if we possibly can, we will stop by Munich, although we will probably be using most of our time left to sell things, get ready for the movers, and so on. One of the things I'm going to regret selling is the early Art Deco buffet cabinet we had bought. Had we stayed later, we might have been able to afford to bring it back, but now...not so much. It's a beautiful piece, with a combination of the Art Deco geometric forms and lovely carved roses and ribbons. I think it's walnut wood. It's the first antique piece of furniture I've bought, and I really love it.

    However, I think I might be able to take back the art deco side table we also bought (marble topped, also with geometric designs and carved roses), as it's much smaller.

    I'm also going to try to sell some of my handspun yarn. It doesn't weight much, granted, but it doesn't hurt to have a bit of pocket change. Plus, I rarely knit my own handspun.

    If I'm really lucky, we might be able to bring my Mom out here in mid-November so that we can go around and experience the Christmas Markets here. I know my Mom would really enjoy it. It'll be a bit hectic, as we'll be in the midst of getting things arranged to be moved, but what the heck.

    Trying to visit various places in Europe once we get back to WA would be very expensive. Plus, I'd have to wait a couple of years before I built up enough vacation time to do it. So, I'm going to try to do as much as I can when I'm here.

    ReplyDelete