Monday, October 11, 2010

The Beer Bicycle

So, with Oktoberfest at a close, I discover this answer to drinking and driving:

http://www.bierbike-aachen.de/das-bierbike.html

Yes, it's a beer bike.  You rent out this contraption, have a bunch of your friends pedal the thing, while another (sober) person steers it, all the while touring the city of your choice as you all drink beer on tap.

Those Germans think of everything when it comes to accommodating Oktoberfest.

The city of Dusseldorf has decided to forbid the use of these beer bikes (you can't use them without a permit in Dusseldorf), not because of the drinking and driving issue, but because they're slow, and some passengers have fallen off and obstructed traffic (no one killed, though).

No, I have not tried this thing, partly because I'm not sure how many people I can get to go in on this with me, although it does look interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:04 AM

    Dear Karen,

    coming very late to commenting on this entry, sorry. I've seen this beer-bike some time ago (a couple of years) in Munich, but I can assure you, it's nothing traditional, at least here, the city of the original Oktoberfest. The real Münchner goes to visit the Wiesn, chooses his beer-tent according to his overall taste in humankind (those who want atmosphere will choose another one than the glitzy folks - mostly from elsewhere than Munich, but wearing all the traditional garb in non-traditional varieties - who want to be seen and noticed), and sits down for a jug of beer and something to eat and remains there for sometimes verrry long. I personally tried to visit the Oktoberfest this year for the first time in years, since I can't stand the masses of people I have to find my way through, because they had a "old fashioned historical Oktoberfest" in honour of the 200th anniversary of the wedding that caused this festival into being (the wedding between Ludwig I. and Theresia), with the horseraces that were the big hit back then. But we chose the worst time ever - the last Sunday. No chance to even reach the historic part which had been closed off anyway because of too many people. A nightmare. The kids were disappointed only for a short time - the less than friendly atmosphere did it's job. So much for my love of the Oktoberfest... not a love affair at all. Plus you can get the Oktoberfestbeer in the shops as well. And don't have to drink one litre of it in one go - it's quite strong.

    Doris in Munich * Bavarian Cherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Doris, we ended up going to an Oktoberfest nearby--not the "real" Munich kind, I guess, but it was fun anyway. The tradition certainly has gone beyond German borders. It's even celebrated in Washington state in some parts. Also, I found, in the Netherlands in Sittard (which is in Limburg province). However, I understand Limburg has more than a few times been part of Germany over many centuries, so perhaps it still counts.

    ReplyDelete