Sunday, February 28, 2010

Windy!

The wind is very blustery today--well, it’s stormy, actually. It batters at the windows as if demanding to come in, and whips around the bare branches of the trees just outside of our hotel. We have heard more than a few ambulance sirens in the distance as well as going past the hotel on the street below, causing John to comment that the emergency services certainly seem to be getting a workout today.

We went nevertheless to church, invited by Dave and Tanna D (husband and wife); Dave also works at Boeing, and comes from the Puget Sound area of Washington as we do. They are a lovely couple, so friendly.

The church was an Anglican service on base, lead by a 30-something English Anglican chaplain. John and I experienced all the discomfort of newcomers to a church with an unfamiliar service and hymns, but we know that it will soon pass as we become used to it. We will no doubt return.

I confess I had quite a time not being distracted by the chaplain’s (he’s called a “padre” here) English accent. It’s not that I couldn’t understand what he was saying--he had a very educated BBC English accent--but it was the novelty of being preached to in a different accent, hearing the tones of British English, that took me off guard. I found myself listening to how the words sounded, rather than what he was saying, until I caught myself at it and made myself listen to the sermon itself again.

it was about faith, about faith in God. I was struck by the padre’s comment about how it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven, not because God has anything against rich people, but because richer people tend to be more invested in their material goods, have more faith in “having” than those who have very little.

I know this is true, having been one of the working poor. I remember working whatever job I could get, finally landing a permanent job, with good benefits at minimum wage (keep in mind minimum wage was $3.90 per hour back then). I could barely afford the rent I had in Capitol Hill at the time, rent that was affordable at first, but kept increasing by 25% then 50% every few months. I remember when my rent check bounced, because I dared buy myself food that wasn’t oatmeal or Top Ramen, and when the grocery store refused my check because the last one bounced--because I had just paid rent. There were times when I wondered whether I should pay for food, rent, or my student loans.

I learned that material goods were ephemeral at best, and could not be depended on. My health insurance was meaningless to me, especially because the insurance company kept sending flyers out about eating healthy foods when healthy foods were beyond my means, and I had not warm enough clothes to keep out the winter chill. All I had was hope that I would not be evicted from my apartment, and that there might be some way I could find a better paying job, and counted myself blessed that I did not--that week--have to live on the streets despite the fact that I was one of the lucky ones who had a job. It was then I became aware of the hypoglycemia (I didn’t know what it was then), which eventually turned into type II diabetes I have now. Certainly it was made worse by the cheap food I ate back then.

In that time--even though I didn’t go to church then--I had faith that I’d make it somehow. Perhaps it was youthful ignorance or young optimism. But what I often thought about was this: Didn’t my parents go through the Great Depression and war time Japan and survive? They knew hunger every day back then. If they could make it, I could too, one way or another; there were people who didn’t have jobs at all, and in that way I was one of the lucky ones.

It’s odd...back then, nobody I knew of talked of not having health insurance. We talked about not having jobs, or a place to live. It makes me think that those who do talk about needing health insurance are the ones who do have jobs, which puts them in a privileged place indeed in these difficult economic times, compared to so many people who don’t have jobs at all.

So that makes me wonder...with so many people insisting on universal health care, even as we supposedly are in the worst recession since the 1930’s, which is true: we have not lost very many jobs at all and we aren’t really in a recession where people have lost their homes and their livelihoods, or people are in good enough economic shape where we can come up with the taxes to pay for universal health care instead of using that money to create jobs?

It seems to me that the good Padre was right: we who are wealthy enough to have jobs, good jobs that give us a roof over our heads and food on the table nevertheless tend to think of what we lack materially, rather than what we are lucky enough to have.

Me, I’ve got asthma, have type II diabetes (low end, though), and though I can do better on the diabetes, I do need some expensive meds for the asthma. But I’m willing to scale back on my health care so that someone without a job can get one. Because it seems to me that people will be a lot healthier if they had the means to get food and shelter than if they didn’t. I have a lot of faith in that idea. :-D

2 comments:

  1. I think you've neglected to remember that with COBRA (thank you Senators Kennedy and Kassebaum) we have the opportunity to have health insurance if we lose our job (assuming that the company did not go out of business which many many have). Though I do agree that joblessness is a HUGE problem -- I've been lucky enough to keep both insurance and a job during these perilous times for me personally and for the economy. Health insurance is not a false issue. It is both needed and a symptom of the strange fix we've gotten ourselves into. If we dis-entangled health insurance from employment -- that is, separating the act of employment from the employer-offered health insurance, I personally believe that we'd be better off. It should be the right of everyone to be able to have decent health care -- and food, clean water, all of which help produce that condition of human dignity.
    Yes, those in Haiti, for example, are not wishing for health insurance. But, aside from natural disasters where many need similar care, being able to provide quick and affordable urgent care and to prevent epidemics like the flu of 1918 would be good, she said, climbing down from soapbox :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Glee, I found out that a decade ago when Boeing engineers went on strike that should John lose his job, it would cost $700 per month at the very least to continue our health insurance through COBRA; more like over $1000 per month. This would be difficult to afford if a person didn't have an income, so I'm not entirely sure how effective COBRA is unless the person who became unemployed had a good amount of savings to begin with, and managed to find a job not long after. However, finding a job not long after being unemployed is no longer a given these days. If you are young and fresh out of college, that is even less of a given, because you are not even eligible for unemployment benefits. And if your parents have lost their jobs as well, then being young and fresh out of college means that you will be living on the streets in no time.

    I never said there shouldn't be some kind of universal health care. I did say that joblessness is a more urgent problem. You bring up Haiti...the number of homeless people in Haiti at this point is 1.5 million people. The number of people in the U.S. who are homeless is 3.5 million people as of the year 2005; it's even worse now because of the recession, where the unemployment rate amongst African Americans is at 17% (in some states 20%) and amongst people between the ages of 20 and 24 (college graduates) is now 16%. There are lots of minimum wage jobs out there, for sure. But for a person to afford an average apartment rent, he or she has to earn $14 per hour to be able to also have food on the table as well as a place to live. (Stats according to National Coalition of the Homeless.)

    So what we're seeing now, for instance, is a lot of college graduates working minimum wage and still being homeless, or working 16 hour a day at a minimum wage job so that they can afford rent AND put food on the table. The high school graduates...well, they're doing worse.

    And I will guarantee that that the state of being homeless and/or without a job will make you ill. Having a job, a place to live, and food on the table IS the first step in health care. You have those three things, and you will be far less likely to die of pneumonia, of malnutrition, and other poverty-related illnesses, yes, even here in the U.S.

    Poverty will make people ill. There is no way around that. Joblessness causes poverty. All the health care in the world will not prevent those without jobs from getting ill, and worse, because they are homeless, it's extremely difficult for them to get health care they're already eligible for. Even though people in poverty are eligible for Medicaid, those who are homeless and without jobs can't get it anyway, because they don't have addresses to which their benefits can be registered.

    That's why I say, get people jobs first, then address the health care issue.

    ReplyDelete