Sunday, June 13, 2010

What the...? And Other Finds While Shopping

Yet another thing that makes this little ol' American gal stop and think, no, you are not in Auburn, WA any more, but in Europe, specifically a European neighborhood grocery store:

Yes, lest you think "Mäusepisse" can't possibly mean what it looks like, there is a picture to let you know that this does indeed mean "Mouse Piss." It is a liqueur that can be found in the liquor section of the local grocery store (all types of alcohol are sold in grocery stores--there are no separate liquor-only stores like we have in the U.S.), and which is made up of milk, vanilla, and (I think) wheat of some kind. And in case you were wondering what that rather phallic-looking bottle next to the Mäusepisse is all about, all I will say is that the label has pictures of happy little sperm swimming about on it.



No, I did no buy these items. Although imagining the look on John's face if I had tempted me mightily.

Neither did I buy this lovely spinning wheel, which was in a Kringloops thrift store in the Netherlands, even though it was in near perfect condition (just needed a bit of oiling and cleaning) and which came with multiple bobbins. I don't recall what brand it is, but it did have an adjustable mother-of-all, which could use both large and small bobbins. My bargain-hunting heart beat faster when I saw the price: 20 euros!!!! Only twenty! AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!

 But I was strong, very strong, and once again did not buy.

However, on Friday, after giving Anna H a spinning lesson (she did very well, this time on her spinning wheel, and spinning a nice consistent yarn), we decided to look at this bargain once again, and not only saw this, but found another one, exactly the same, same price, in great condition, except with a cotton bobbin included.



I just about died from finding not one, but two, two bargains, but I thought to myself, think! Think! Do you want to save up so that you can go on vacation to Paris and Amsterdam, and even England and Ireland, or buy a spinning wheel? You have a spinning wheel, a lovely, multi-geared beauty whose virtues you have not even begun to fully explore. Every little bit counts.

Paris and Amsterdam, England and Ireland won out.

Besides, these spinning wheel bargains seem to be pretty plentiful, so perhaps there will be one waiting for me by the end of our time here in Germany and I can buy it, ship it home, and refurbish it.  Meanwhile, I assuaged my bargain-hunting heart by buying some lovely Delftware vases.  I have been using John's German very large beer glass as a vase, and I am sure he will (should) be grateful that I bought something that will restore said glass to its proper function.

I will say that if after all this forbearance and thriftiness on my part we don't end up going to Paris, Amsterdam, England, and/or Ireland, I am going to be pissed, and I don't mean Mäusepisse, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment