Wednesday, June 09, 2010

A Crafty Afternoon

I was feeling rather blah this morning and so mentally debated whether I wanted to go to the craft/quilt afternoon at Margaret's house, but remembered that I was to show Anna how to use her drop spindle, so decided to go. I was glad I did, because it meant I finally finished the quilted pin cushion that I started...I think some months ago. Finished except for the stuffing, that is. So that's all I need to do with that.

Plus, it was very nice just being with the other gals. Margaret is a sweet and lovely Dutchwoman who goes to the same church we do on the base, and she is very much into quilting and does beautiful work. Cheryl, Anna, and Dee picked me up at home, and we went over the border to...I forget where in the Netherlands. I was too busy looking at the landscape and buildings. :-D

I found that Margaret is into New Age spirituality, which is rather cool. I got into that when I was in my 20's, and still do a bit of tarot as well as astrology from time to time as well. And, I have gone to psychics from time to time, these days just for fun to see if they come up with the same things I have. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I keep an open mind on these things; that is, I'll allow the possibilities, even the probabilities, but just because someone says it's so doesn't mean it is. It's always necessary to verify via plain hard facts, observation, and personal experience. All three tell me there may very well be something in it all, but that people are fallible, and there are outright fakes out there. Even the well-meaning and ones who may have something real going can make mistakes. In my humble opinion, always verify, test, and keep records.

Anna got a lesson in using her drop spindle, and she did very well for a first-timer. One of the things most people do is not get enough fiber into the twist while not twisting enough, resulting in the yarn coming apart and the spindle falling to the ground. Though her yarn ended up being thick, her spindle didn't drop to the floor. That's a great start.

Margaret has a lovely home, and she spoiled us rotten by bringing out profiteroles, fruit, crackers, and cookies, in addition to various drinks, including white wine.

I went as far as I could with the quilted pincushion, then switched to knitting some yarn I have had for ages, and which I had brought over. It's a lovely cotton polyester yarn between sport and fingering weight, in varied hues of blue, purple, lavender, pale green, and pastel yellow. I figured I'd knit it in lace.

Yet, I felt restless...I knitted it for a while, and when I returned from the get-together (I had a lovely time--so nice to be in pleasant, cheerful company!), I didn't feel like working on it. Perhaps I need a definite pattern for it (instead of just making one up), or I need something else.

I'm beginning to think that I need to go whole hog on the Irish novel now. I've let it rest and allowed myself some percolating time, and I find that I'm thinking of it more--the characters, and how the story will be structured. I've written a synopsis, but I'm not going to look at it, lest I feel bound to it. It--or the structure of it--is in the back of my mind, and that's where it needs to stay, rather like the original of a house plan. You follow it, but if you have a homeowner (i.e., the muse) who knows what she wants but doesn't quite know how to put it in words, you're going to change the plans. And then there is the terrain, and the affordability...you get the idea. You have a plan, but you have to allow that it'll be modified, sometimes more than you think.

I'm still afraid of rushing it...having done that before, I know it usually means disaster. But I might get my hammer and nails out and take a couple of swings to see if I'm about ready to build that house.

No comments:

Post a Comment