Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Voodoo on the high seas

I'm taking some time during lunch to see what is going on in my brother's blog. Dave has a Blogspot blog which of course I follow, because not only is he family, he's a merchant seaman on board cargo ships that sail the world and a good storyteller as well. It's a good way for him to inform the family and friends about what's going on with him, as his e-mail length and time are limited when on board ship, and all it takes for him to blog is to send an e-mail to his blog address.

I find his travels to exotic places fascinating since, except for being born in Japan and my honeymoon in Canada's British Columbia, I've never been out of the United States. (So unfair! Everyone else in my family has been to foreign lands except me! Even the DH has been to Europe!) What's interesting to me is on-board ship culture, plus the different people he meets while on board as well as in the places he visits, not the least of which is his latest blog post about a possible Voodoo or Santeria incident on board the ship he's on now.

I'm reading his blog daily now, in hopes of finding out what is going on with the Black Salt incident. I gave what information I happened to remember about the use of salt in both religious and magical rituals (hey, I'm an author of paranormal romance novels--of course I would have this information in the recesses of my memory banks), and it seems to correspond to what is going on there.

Just checked his blog...he posted the info I gave him, plus additional stuff. I hope he posts more soon!




Today is my wedding anniversary! The dh and I have been married for 25 years. I believe that's the silver anniversary. Not too bad, huh?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:33 AM

    Congratulations! My hubby and I just had our 28th on the 11th.

    I'm Pastor Jon's sister, by the way - and my hubby, Doug, has worked with yours on the AWACS stuff. Next time yours is sent over here to Germany to help out, come along! It's lotsa fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna! Small world, huh? I would have LOVED to have gone over to Germany when my hubby, John, went over, but unfortunately, I had just changed over to a new job. There is still the possibility that we might relocate to Germany next year if he's still wanted on a project there...that would be so exciting although just a little scary. I've bookmarked your blog, so that I can read about what it's like there. Thanks for posting a comment and contacting me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:07 PM

    I hope you do relocate here, Karen! Living overseas is a blast - stressful at first, yes, as you adjust to the way things are done here, but learning the culture and language are fun. Plus, the chance to travel is incredible - we're just a 4 hour drive from Paris, 8 from Munich, about 8 from Berlin - 10 from Vienna... I could go on and on.

    I've got you bookmarked too, so I'll be reading you!

    ReplyDelete