Saturday, July 25, 2009

Argh

I was marveling at all the writing I was doing on this blog, and thought, wow, I must be gearing up for a major writing blitz.

Then I re-read my blog entries and realized they're mostly about food, or had food in them. I realize now that it began when I was thinking seriously about going on a diet and doing more exercise.

So, food obsession has kicked in, not a writing blitz. Grrrr.

I tell you, when not on a diet, I don't think much about food at all. Life is easy. Life is not stressful. As soon as I decide I need to lose some weight I start obsessing about food. Every bit of it. I want stuff I would usually not touch. All of a sudden I want sugary stuff, where I normally wouldn't touch it. Where I would normally be content with veggies and meat, I all of a sudden want pastries, which I normally wouldn't bother eating.

There has got to be a way not to want things I normally don't want when on a diet.

2 comments:

  1. I go through that too. One way I deal with it is to tell myself I can have it if I really want it. That takes a lot of the pressure off, the sense that if I don't have this rightnow, I'll never ever in my entire life ever have it again, which is (for me) what drives the Must Have This. If I know that yes, I can have it whenever I want it (so long as I truly want it), then I don't want it so badly.

    The other thing is knowing that after a couple of bites, the flavor is less intense. So I have my couple of bites, and I really focus on them, so that when I want the whatever later on, I can remember what it was like to have it, and that's often good enough (especially since memory is free, calorically speaking).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice, Katy...although, I still tie myself up in knots. I will have that taste, and then think, okay, that's all I want. Then I look at that piece of cake left over or whatever (usually cake, which I actually don't care for) and think, two bites, and there is that rest of the cake that's going to sit there and be wasted. Because maybe the dh might eat it, but it's likely he'll just have a bite or two, as well. And wasting food! I was raised by Depression-era parents. Wasting food was a mortal sin. So then I start feeling guilty for not only indulging in a bite of cake, but also for wasting it.

    There needs to be a bite-sized alternative in these cases, where one does not waste a piece of cake.

    However, what seems to work more or less is remembering how ooky eating cake feels afterwards--not emotionally, but just stomach-yucky.

    ReplyDelete