Friday, March 20, 2009

Knitted result


Well, this is the knitted result of the yarn I hand-dyed and hand-spun. I'm very pleased with it. The colors blend rather nicely one to another, and are kind of self-striping. That's the result of the Navajo three-ply method of plying I did with it. The swatch was knitted with U.S. size 2 (3 mm) knitting needles, the size you'd use for socks. So, I guess I have indeed created some sock yarn!

I did try to spin it very fine, but I think I need a bit more twist than I had in this yarn. It's still very sturdy, though the ply is loose enough that if you're not careful, it's possible to pick up a strand instead of the whole ply. It worked out to about 6 1/2 stitches to the inch, but I tend to knit loosely rather than tightly.

All this motivates me to dye some more roving, which I've done, and I'm working on spinning up that one now. It's in shades of blue and green, with slight touches of yellow.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:59 PM

    Karen, how absolutely gorgeous!

    I have no idea what most of the terms mean, but I can still appreciate the pictured result. : )

    PamB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hey, Pam! Thanks for visiting my blog. And thanks for the compliment on my yarn. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!!!! I'm in lust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Eliza! I was thinking about selling it on Etsy, but don't want to right now. I'm still gazing at my first dyed creation with fondness. I'm hesitating, thinking I might want to make some mittens or socks with it. Or maybe not. Oh, decisions, decisions!

    ReplyDelete