Thursday, September 08, 2005

Romance writers are smarter than you think

Smarter than me, and I'm no dummy, despite my prior posts. :-)

Here's evidence: the Romance Novelists Association, England's version of the North America's Romance Writers of America, beat out the team representing the Wisden Cricketer's Almanac on BBC's University Challenge, their version of the College Bowl quiz game. See reports of it at:

Wisden Fails to Keep Scoreboard Ticking

and

http://grumpyoldbookman.blogspot.com/2005/07/never-let-it-be-said.html

(For some reason, that I can't make the above URL link--you'll have to cut and paste into your browser)

But, you may say, cricket? Isn't that just a tad narrow? (Not that I'm disparaging cricket experts, mind you. The Grumpy Old Bookman blog points out how smart those folks are.) How about people who have wider knowledge of the world? The way whole nations work, the ins and outs of, say, international commerce?

How about...economists?

Sorry. I understand from a fellow writer that the romance novelists have just beat out a team from the staff of The Economist in the semi-finals as well.

My, my.

--Karen H

No comments:

Post a Comment