Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Going to Germany

It's official. The hubby and I are going to Germany--and I mean, relocating, not just visiting. It'll probably be for over a year, but beyond that, we don't know. The Alien Child will be housesitting for us, but this does not make me less nervous, as he has so far shown a singular disinterest in learning what must be done to run a household. With luck, this will change.

I'm a bit scared, certainly excited, and most definitely overwhelmed at the amount of work we have to do to get ready. We can do it in a month's time, but...whew, that's not a lot of time!  I don't even know where we'll be living--that is, I know generally where we will, but have no idea of the town or city, if we'll be living in a house or an apartment. No. Clue. At. All. Probably a house, John says, but...small? Large? Mid-sized?
I do know that we'll be staying at a hotel for about the first 45 days. Hopefully one with a kitchenette, because as much as I like eating out, that would become very dull after a while.

So we'll be traveling light, but I don't know what all we'll have shipped. Definitely my computer, definitely my knitting and spinning stuff. I was wondering how I would go about getting knitting supplies, but found this nifty web site:
http://planetpurl.com/planetpurl/static/showpage.htm?showpage=travel_guide

There are "cheat sheets" for finding your way in a foreign yarn shop, so I will most definitely download the German one. This comforts me a great deal. It seems the love of knitting is truly international. Which supports my contention that if everyone learned how to knit or crochet, we would have World Peace.  I mean really. Think about it. What if world leaders, as they began to argue and fuss and become angry, stopped and took group knitting breaks? What if they traded patterns and yarn instead of angry words and weapons? It would calm everyone down, I'm sure. :-D

All right, that is very much pie-in-the-sky. But it can't hurt to introduce myself to someone by looking at their beautiful knitting (and I am sure there are knitters who knit beautifully in Germany) and saying, "Das ist schön!"

See, I am learning already.

All in all, however, it will most definitely be an adventure.  Wish me luck--in the packing, moving, and the settling into Germany!

2 comments:

  1. I think you'll have an amazing time. I think change, after the dust settles and we're not quite so disoriented, feeds creativity. It shakes us up, so our minds don't travel the same old paths.

    That's my theory anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:30 AM

    Hab kein Angst, Karen! (that means, don't worry) - Annemieke or Gea will be helping you and John find your house (unless you'd prefer an apartment) and assisting with all the settling-in details. And I promise to be your personal guide to the yarn shops I know about - plus, we can certainly make it a mission to find more! I'm always up for fiber fun!

    Stricken = knitting, to knit. Ich stricke eine Socke = I'm knitting a sock.
    Hakeln = crochet.
    Garn = yarn
    Woll = wool.
    Just a little vocab every knitter/yarn lover needs here.

    ReplyDelete