Thursday, March 26, 2009

My Mom


I have to boast about my mom: She won one of the Pierce County Outstanding Volunteer Achievement awards for 2009! I went to the award ceremony brunch on Saturday 3/21, and I’m so proud! Mom was up there on stage and shook hands with the governor and everything. She's a Clothing and Textiles Advisor, and has helped staff and coordinate the Sew Expo in Puyallup, WA, as well as led volunteer efforts in her home town and in Tacoma. She looks younger than her age--she's in her late 70's--which all goes to show that volunteering keeps you looking young. :-)

The ceremony is so inspiring. In these days when it’s so easy to be cynical about the world and about people, it’s wonderful to see all these people up on stage and in the audience who devote hundreds to thousands hours to helping others and the community, from people who make hats for the homeless to dentists who volunteer hours at the coroner’s office to match dental records to the deceased so that families can find closure, to Master Gardeners to child advocate workers. It’s fantastic. People of all ages, too, from young adults and teenagers to very elderly people with walkers. One young man up for an award blushed the whole time he was up on stage accepting his award–so sweet!

It was a totally non-stress event (for me, anyway). Mom cried a little when she got the award–a certificate and beautiful hand-made glass plate. This the second time she’s won an award. The last time was the 2000 Volunteer of the Year award.

They need more door prizes, though. I’m going to put together a basket for next year’s ceremony. My mom is invited every year and she gives out tickets to family, so I might be going next year, too.

1 comment:

  1. Go, Mom! After more than 15 years of having the very good fortune of counting your daughter as one of my dearest friends, I feel as if I know you. She has shared many wonderful experiences with her friends over the years, and each one has been filled with love and pride. I share that pride in your accomplishments. My late husband was a great judge of character, and he was a great admirer of Karen's.

    Be well.

    Love,
    Deb Stover
    http://www.debstover.com/

    ReplyDelete