Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Good heavens













The Alien Child is no longer a child today!



Well, he hasn't been legally a child for quite a while, at least since he was 18. But now he's 20! No longer a teenager!


How am I do deal with that? It makes me no longer the mother of a teen, but of a 20-something!



It means I am creeping--no, have definitely stepped--into middle age. Oh, I could fool myself that I was not quite there for a while. I had a teenager, after all, and that meant he was not really, truly adult. But now my offspring is now an adult. What does that make me? I can't deny it any longer...I am truly middle aged.






Well...he isn't out of college yet. That's something. I can still tell myself, "oh, he's not quite there yet. After all, he's in school."


Having a son or daughter in school means you can still maintain some illusion of youthfulness, of not-quite-middle-ageness.




Of course, no matter how old he is, I will still see him as my child. My own mother, after all, still does the same about my brothers and me. I haven't taken a picture of the Alien Child now that he's 20. However, I will, later. For now, I'll post a few of him through the years.


No comments:

Post a Comment