Sunday, September 11, 2005

Yarn madness

Not only do I spin yarns, I spin yarn...with a spinning wheel.

It all started because I'm also a knitter If you're addicted to fiber and textiles, though, you will know that one is not just a craftsperson regarding these items, one is a collector. You wouldn't belive my yarn stash--well, maybe you would, if you were also a knitter or crocheter. It really isn't about the knitting per se, it's about the potential for knitting nifty little projects, as well as the sheer sensuality of running your hands through the different textures and gazing in sybaritic pleasure at the colors.

However, there is a line that one crosses from abundance into guilt when looking at the piles and piles of neatly and not-so-neatly stacked yarn in the closet, the drawers, the shelves...you get the picture. So, I told my husband I was through buying yarn. If I wanted some yarn, I would spin it by hand. This would reduce my yarn stash.

He, poor man, thought this was a good idea.

Well, my bought yarn stash went down all right...to be replaced by bags and bags of raw wool fleece, hand-dyed silk roving, hand dyed wool roving, Merino wool (both raw and processed), Corriedale wool (ditto), Columbia wool, Shetland fleece, shredded sari silk to put in my carding drum, my hand cards, my wool combs, my spindles and bobbins...well, you get the picture.

Thank God for eBay. At least I can sell the yarn I make and claim that I at least support my addiction, and wow, look at all that nifty roving and silk and fleece also sold on eBay---!

I'm a hopeless fiber addict. My dear hubby has learned just to close the door of my office and pretend he doesn't see the bags of wool. He has learned that it's worth it to ignore such things, especially since it's relatively harmless and it does keep me sane and happy.

Did I mention I have a very kind and understanding husband? He surely is. :-)

--Karen H.

No comments:

Post a Comment