Sunday, May 23, 2010

Some things I like about living in Süsterseel, Germany

I mentioned that we settled in a small town called Süsterseel here in Germany. It's located in the Heinsberg District, and within the municipality of Selfkant. I don't think it has much more than 5,000 people in it, although I could be mistaken.

I'm within walking distance from a great little bakery. Maybe 3 blocks away, tops. Some of the gals who work there speak a little English, some don't, but that's fine. They are always helpful and eager to help me learn German, which I appreciate. I have not yet found one baked item that wasn't fresh out of the oven and delicious. And the pastries! Oh. My. God. They're not overly sweet. Also, because it's three blocks away, I don't feel naughty buying some, because hey, I walked first! And afterwards!


It's generally quiet. No noise at night; this town is in the middle of farmland. Even during the day, all I pretty much hear are birds singing, with the occasional lawn mower. There has been some hammering in my back yard, as one of the neighbors has taken down part of the fence and is building it up again. But that's all. Rarely any traffic noises. Sweet!

People are friendly. It's nice to walk or drive to and from home and get a friendly nod or "morgen!" from people in the neighborhood. Some people say that Germans aren't friendly. They are indeed a private people, but perhaps it's because we live in a small town that people will smile and greet you as you pass. Regardless, it's nice.

The surrounding landscape is beautiful! It's spring, the grass is green, and the fields are bright yellow with flowers. These are rapeseed flowers, used to produce oil. Certain types of rapeseed produces Canola oil; whether these are the same, or whether they're used to produce biofuel or as feed for cattle, I don't know, but nevertheless, these fields of yellow flowers are so intensely yellow they seem to glow like something out of the Wizard of Oz when the sun strikes them just so.



Corellary to #4: People's gardens are lovely, and they have large vegetable gardens. In fact, our neighbor across the street has a large vegetable plot that has onions, shallots, potatoes, cabbage, and other vegetables.




Surprising things happen, such as marching bands marching down our little street on Ascension day.

There is an antique furniture store within walking distance. I might just buy one more item there. ;-)

The Netherlands is within walking distance. I kid you not. As the crow flies, it's one third of a mile. Going along the bike path/pedestrian trail, it's just a tad over half a mile to the border.  We saw this gentleman in his horse-drawn buggy about a mile away from Süsterseel in Jabeek, Netherlands.

Last but not least, I live within walking distance of Anna H, also of WA U.S.A., who totally is in tune with my yarn addiction; indeed she aids and abets in it. She also understands how to alleviate homesickness using fast food therapy.

    2 comments:

    1. I firmly believe in the value of therapeutic visits to McD's and Starbucks, administered as needed! lol...

      ReplyDelete
    2. And it's been helpful. But...Starbucks? Where? Where?

      ReplyDelete