Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Traveling with Anna and finding a bargain

Today, Tuesday, started out with a frantic search for information. John had neatly put some information--including how to get to work--into a binder and because he is committed to having all of that in one place and not scattered about. However, he decided to hide it in the hotel room, as it did have a copy of my prescriptions and other info in it that might be tempting for someone to take.

Well, I was awakened by a groan and frantic noises as John searched for the binder and couldn’t find it. He couldn’t remember where he had put it, and had a terrible feeling that he had left it out and that someone had taken it. The poor man was in terrible despair. He went out to the rental car to see if he had left it there, but no, it wasn’t there either. We drove to all the places we had gone that we might have taken it out, but no, it wasn’t there either. So he made some calls and got directions to work, while I promised to look further.

I had promised Anna H of Kalitsu’s Compendium blog that I’d go thrift store shopping with her, but I felt that it was a bit more important to find that binder, so let her know that I might not be accompanying her. I went downstairs to see if any of the maids had seen it, but no, they had not.

So I sat quietly in the room, composed myself, and thought about it, going over the last day or so and reviewing John’s movements here, and thinking, “if I were John, where would I have hidden it?”

In less than five minutes, I knew where he had hidden it, and indeed there it was. (We have been married for a long time, yes.) So I called his office, left a message that I had found it, and then called Anna again, telling her that all was well and that I would very much like a tour of places I’d need to know about, including thrift shops.

Anna is a sweet gal with kind eyes, about my age; she’s our Federal Way United Methodist Church’s pastor’s sister. It looks like she and I have a good deal in common, in that she’s also a knitter and a writer, and it was nice making friends.  She promptly came over to the hotel, picked me up, and off we went.

Our first stop was to the NATO base library, where I picked up two books to read. I intend to read much more than I have in the past; I used to read at least a couple of books per week, but ever since I’ve started writing novels, it’s shrunk considerably. I’m ashamed to say I’ve probably read only a couple of fiction books per YEAR. Bad, bad, bad me. I picked out Jennifer Crusie’s and Bob Mayer’s Don’t Look Down, and a book called The Quilter’s Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini. Anna recommended this last one, and I thought I’d give it a try.

We then went to the Netherlands, to a town called Brunssum--yes, I’m that close to the border--to two thrift shops. I was surprised to find that the thrift shop carried not only plants, but live birds. It was dim and rather dusty, and I looked around, but didn’t find much of interest to me at the moment, although Anna found a nice office chair appropriate for her sewing area.

We left to go to the second, which I thought was better organized and well lighted. I spotted a table I liked, but didn’t buy, as I want to wait until we find a house to rent before I buy any furniture. Believe it or not, I found a real Japanese teapot, which I did buy, as it was only 2 Euros, and I really wanted a teapot here at the hotel.

And then...my, oh, my. I turned around a corner and what should I find but a spinning wheel! Not just any, but a Louet S20. Not just any Louet, but one that was beautifully painted with folk decorations on it. I know I let out an audible gasp, and said, “oh, my God!” especially after I saw the price. I think it was only 25 Euros. That translates to around $35. It was in perfect working condition, except for a small piece near the footment that could be easily replaced either by a flexible piece of plastic or a piece of leather, and given perhaps a dusting. And that’s all. To give you an idea of what such a spinning wheel would normally cost new, it can be around $300 to $400 unpainted back in the US. But this one was painted with a beautiful folk design, came with a skein winder, and three bobbins, also beautifully painted. Something that beautiful, with solid action and great working condition, with only one small, fixable thing to make it absolutely perfect...well, I don’t think it would go too far to say it could very well cost $400 to $500 in the U.S.

If you want to see a picture of it, go to:

http://kalitsu.livejournal.com/225378.html

And scroll down until you see that lovely, lovely spinning wheel. As you see, Anna bought it, and I will be teaching her how to spin with it. But dang, what a bargain! As John put it, it’s like finding an immaculate ‘67 Chevelle in perfect running condition for $4,000, but you have to buy new tires.

I was very excited about this find, so much so that I chuckled over it all the way back to the hotel.

John and I had dinner not long afterwards at a steakhouse not far from the hotel. We decided to try Chateaubriand, which was delicious. I have often heard of this dish, but didn’t know what it was until now. It’s a lovely, tender steak surrounded by different vegetables, including Brussels sprouts. I usually detest Brussels sprouts, but decided to try it anyway, and was pleasantly surprised. It was not the overcooked, smelly vegetable I often encounter in the U.S., but seemed to be delicately steamed or sauteed so that there was no strong flavor or smell at all.

I should mention that we are on “actuals”--that is, John’s company pays for our food up to a certain amount until we get a place to live. Since I am limited by the hotel room’s kitchenette as to what I can cook, we end up going out almost every evening for dinner.

Boo hoo.

Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment