Thursday, June 01, 2006

Finding stuff

One good thing about cleaning up--in this case, my office--is that I find all sorts of nifty things I forgot I had. It’s like finding nice surprises. Which is sort of an excuse for not cleaning up, because if everything was neat and tidy, I wouldn’t discover delightful things all over again. For one, I discovered a small zippered purse, in which I had at one time put about five dollars in coins and paper money, which apparently fell off my desk and behind some...stuff. Picked up said stuff and now I’m five + dollars richer.

I discovered I have some very nice taupe cashmere roving; I’m debating whether I want to use it as it is and spin some pure cashmere yarn, or whether I want to combine it with wool into batts and spin it that way. Or, combine the pure cashmere with hand-dyed silk of gold, silver, bronze and copper colors. That would be quite a delightfully sinful combination, but I’m not sure whether it’d be worth it to sell it on eBay afterwards. For one thing, it’s heading into summer now, which is a bad time to sell yarn, and for another, I’ve got some yarn up on eBay for sale that’s made of Lorna’s Laces roving, and I’ve discounted it twice already since it hasn’t sold. Discounted it so much that it’s below cost, and I won’t make any money on it, unless I get lucky.

So I’m thinking it’s not time to spin the cashmere and put it up, because there’s no way I’d get a good price for it. Or rather, I can spin it up now, and save it to sell later. Or, I might just keep it myself, or give it away as a Christmas present for my mom, who most certainly knows the value of a good cashmere yarn.

I did discover some lovely hand-dyed cotton roving, which I think I’ll spin up during the summer, and see if that will sell at all. I’ve never spun up cotton, so it’ll be something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment