Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Finally done!

So in January I stopped blogging, thinking I’d get the book done in a few weeks, but NO, it’s been months. Still Midnight Surrender is DONE at last, so that’s good. Little did I know that there were... big adjustments involved in surgical crone-hood.

Still, the book is indeed done, and I’m going to take a little break before I plunge into the next one. I do have an idea for it--the heroine is an Irish banshee (Bean Sidhe) and the hero is an English werewolf. She won’t be the spirit who goes screaming at people’s doorsteps whenever death is nigh, but she will be the wise woman of her village (Bean Sidhe also means a wise woman who has certain spiritual/faerie gifts) who is knows when people are about to die, and has flashes of “sight” here and there. She’s psychic, in other words. Think of the TV show, Medium. Kind of like that.

And, I think I’m going to try a different writing method. A bit more structured than my “fly-in-the-mist” one that I’d been using ever since the beginning. Time to learn new things, try a different approach. With luck, it’ll help me write faster, too.

But first, a break. Read a book or two, do some knitting, spin some yarn. I already have some hand-spun yarn up on eBay at the moment; there’s one that’s all wool, made from Lorna’s Laces wool roving, but the rest are a combination of wool and silk, and there’s even one that’s made of wool, angora rabbit fur, and silk. Very soft! I’m probably going to post another couple of sets of handspun yarn in the next few weeks as well. There’s one I’m winding into skeins that’s of medium-textured wool, but it’s very elastic and should be perfect for some sturdy socks.

Trying to figure out what I’m going to read next...I think I’ll see if Patricia McKillip has any new books out. If so, whether it’s in hardback or paperback, I’m buying it. She’s an autobuy for me; ditto Charles de Lint.

So, anyway, I’ll see if I can pop in here again and post something...but right now, I’m feeling pretty lazy.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on Patricia McKillip being an autobuy (though I have to say that half the time she utterly baffles the analytical part of my brain...). She had a book out in November, Harrowing The Dragon, which is a collection of short stories. I haven't read all of them yet, but they're McKillip through and through--Just wonderful. And, more recently, Solstice Wood, which takes place in the same world as Winter Rose--the characters in the former are descendants of characters in the latter. Wonderful work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, McKillip is...well, I don't have a real description for her writing. There's something about it that draws me in, but at the same time escapes my grasp. It's like pulling aside a veil, and then finding another, and another beyond it. Otherworldly, that's it, but...well, more.

    I'll have to get Solstice Wood. I read recently her contemporary one, the one with the needlework circle. Really liked that one. Can't remember the title off hand, and I'm a bit too tired this night to look it up. Regardless, McKillip is an auto-buy for me. So is Robin McKinley, for that matter. I wish she'd hurry up and write another book, but these things can't be hurried, I think.

    ReplyDelete